What Can I Do To Ease Eye Strain?
In recent years, there has been a significant raise of the time we spend staring at a digital device, especially our phones. Research shows that most people spend up to 7 hours a day in front of a digital device. Because of this, many people are experiencing eye strain.
What is Eye Strain?
Also known as eye fatigue is a set of symptoms that develop after looking at near-vision tasks for instance staring at our devices for over 7 hours. It is a common condition where eyes get tired from intense use,
- Sore, tired, burning or itching eyes
- Watery or dry eyes
- Blurred or double vision
- Sore neck, shoulders or back
- Increased light sensibility
- Difficulty concentrating
Visit your eye doctor if symptoms are disrupting your daily activities or are persistent. The eye specialist will assess your condition and you might have an eye exam which includes a vision test.
Treatment, Lifestyle and Home Remedies
While eye strain is unpleasant for your eyes, the good news is that it has no long-term side effects and is simple to treat. Here are some ways to relieve eye strain and keep your eyes comfortable.
- Keep a distance. sit 18-25 inches away from your computer screen, about an arm’s length away, and have your screen positioned in a way that your eyes look slightly downward on the screen.
- Ensuring an ergonomic work environment and practice. 1. Adjust the lighting according to activity 2. Improve the air quality of your space, 3. Adjust your monitor, 4. Use a document holder. 5. Adjust your screen settings
- Take breaks. Follow the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look away from your screen and focus on something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Limit screen time. This is especially for children, who may not make the connection between extended viewing, eyestrain and the need to take regular breaks
- Use of lubricating eye drops. Artificial tears help alleviate dry eye-related symptoms. There are many on the market make sure to pick one that fits your needs and physiology, we suggest you to ask your eye doctor for one that might serve you. Remember if eye drops don’t alleviate your symptoms, it may be time to visit your eye doctor.
- Visual examination and eye care. Both are good to treat visual disorders. Special consideration is needed for people at a high risk of digital eye strain, such as computer workers and contact lens wearers.(Coles-Brennan, 2019). Choose the right eyewear for you. If you need glasses or contacts and work at a computer, consider investing in glasses or contact lenses designed specifically for computer work. Ask our optometrist for the right pair of eyeglasses for you and book an appointment with our doctor today.
Lazarus, R. (n.d.). 5 ways to relieve eye strain . Optometrists.org. Retrieved February 28, 2023, from https://www.optometrists.org/vision-therapy/guide-to-vision-therapy-for-adults/what-is-computer-vision-syndrome/5-ways-to-relieve-eye-strain/